10 Conversation Starters for Small Talk
Myself and many of my coaching clients have tested numerous small talk conversation starters, and I’m going to share with you 10 of the best ones. Correlate these starters with your interests and the social context, and you can confidently rely on them.
1. “What do you think of this event/ party/ gathering?” – Simple and straightforward.
2. “Who do you know here?” – Also a good way to meet more people and make new friends.
3. “What field are you in?” – Works great at networking and business events.
4. “Have you ever been to this place before?” – Terrific starter if you like the location you’re at.
5. “That’s a nice watch. Where did you get it?” – Also works well for other accessories or clothing items.
6. “Tell me about yourself.” – A nice, broad request. It can really get the other person talking.
7. “Have you heard about (major and recent event)?” – A bit of talk about the latest news never hurts.
8. “Where are you from?” – An excellent conversation starter for events with people from multiple cities or countries.
9. “How is your day going?” – Kickoff the chat by getting the other person to share their day.
10. “What are you drinking?” – A particularly good one if you have an interest in drinks or drinking.
Use these simple and effective conversation starters when you’re making small talk, and you’ll get the conversational ball rolling.
I know that small talk may seem pointless, but it is a valuable part of social interactions, especially with new people. It’s a way to test the waters and to engage another person. Know how to make small talk and how to move beyond it, and you’ll actually enjoy it.
Conversation starters when meeting someone for the first time!
How was your day?
What is the best job you ever had?
What time do you normally wake up?
What time do you normally go to bed?
Have you ever been in a car accident or seen one?
Till what age would you like to live and why?
what decade during the last century would you have chosen to be a teenager?
what is your aim for this year?
Have you ever milked a cow or goat?
Have you ever won a prize in a contest?
What were you doing 30 minutes ago?
Did you have an exciting last weekend?
Have you ever crawled through a window?
What do you spend most of your money on?
Where were you at 1AM sunday morning?